What is Sadaqah Jariyah?
What is Sadaqah Jariyah?
In Islam, Sadaqah Jariyah is a type of ongoing charity that continues to benefit others even after the giver has passed away. This concept is highly valued among Muslims as it is considered one of the most rewarding acts one can achieve in their lifetime. The Hadith, or teachings of the Prophet Muhammad, states that only three deeds continue to benefit a person after they die: Sadaqah Jariyah, knowledge shared with others, and a righteous child who prays for them. This is why many Muslims strive to give charity with the intention that it will continue to benefit others and earn them rewards even after their death. This article will explain why Sadaqah Jariyah is important, what it is, and what types of charitable acts are considered Sadaqah Jariyah.
Is Sadaqah the same as Sadaqah Jariyah?
First things first, Sadaqah is not the same as Sadaqah Jariyah. While they are both types of charitable acts in Islam, they are indeed different. Sadaqah is the act of short-term charitable donations, such as buying a meal for someone in need to help them through the day. Sadaqah Jariyah is the act of long-term charitable donations, such as donating a clean source of water to a community to support them for months or years to come. In other words, Sadaqah Jariyah is a gift that keeps giving.
Why do Muslims give Sadaqah Jariyah?
Sadaqah Jariyah is the best way to maximize the impact of charitable gifts. Muslims who donate Sadaqah Jariyah are rewarded for their charitable acts for as long as their act continues to benefit others. Sadaqah Jariyah creates a continuous cycle of giving and receiving, where both the giver and the recipients receive ongoing benefits.
Surely the men who give Sadaqah and the women who give Sadaqah and have advanced a good loan to Allah (SWT); for them it will be multiplied and for them there is a noble reward.” - The Holy Qur’an (57:18).
What acts of charity count as Sadaqah Jariyah?
To count as an act of Sadaqah Jariyah the charitable act must keep on benefiting those in need. There are many different types of Sadaqah Jariyah one can contribute towards, such as:
- Sponsoring an orphan or a child can reap countless rewards for years to come by securing their future. Child sponsorship not only secures the future of the child but it also provides the possibility for their family to have a more prosperous future, as the child’s skills can be used to enhance their family and community for years to come.
- Building a water well and hand pump aims to provide those in need with access to clean, safe, hygienic water. This simple act has life altering effects that benefit the community for months and years to come.
- Helping to build a mosque, school, or hospital by donating to an Islamic construction campaign will help many people each and every day for years to come.
- Spreading knowledge, skills, awareness, or the teachings of Islam is a charitable act that continues to give even long after you die. For example, if you teach one person something, they will spread that knowledge to others, who will in turn spread their new found knowledge to others. It’s truly a gift that keeps on giving for years and years to come.
- Donating educational materials that will help to spread the teachings of Islam, impacting generations for years to come. Donations could include copies of the Holy Qur’an and books of Dua, prayer mats, hijabs, etc.
HasanaH for Sadaqah Jariyah Guidance
Whether you need guidance on Zakat donation or your Sadaqah Jariyah donations, we can help. At HasanaH, we leverage our knowledge and expertise to provide information to donors to help them make charitable contributions to organizations that align with their overarching goals and beliefs. We provide donors with access to impartial, judgment free guidance to empower them to achieve meaningful impacts.
Discover charitable projects on our platform or contact a member of our team to learn more.